Saturday, May 10, 2008

Andy Timmons


Ok its 8:54 am in the morning,again.
Now I realize that perhaps this is the only part of the day when I can actually sit down and post.
Maybe because lethargy takes over on a much greater scale otherwise or maybe because I am too busy being jobless to actually sit up and think and write as the day progresses. Too much of work if you ask me.

Getting back to original topic...
Being the guitar geek I am, I usually start my day with a couple of virtuoso solo artists or technical death metal or progressive metal or symphonic metal or.....well you get the idea.
This morning as I was listening to Andy Timmons, I just youtubed him on impulse. The first song in the results was a predominantly acoustic piece "September" a song I had never heard before and being an avid Andy fan I obviously had to listen it. Anyway, the song is more than just beautiful. Its a classic. Brilliant acoustic intro and build up to an orgasmic heart wrenching electric guitar solo. The song is just so infectious that even though its an instrumental track you'll find yourself humming the tune along without even realizing it.

The beauty of the song lies in the melodic improvisations and the subtle string sections. The rhythm is beautiful not to mention the soulful main theme. On a technical level the guy is pretty accurate and can be very very technical if he wants to. The crying bends in the solo are pitch perfect. The icing on the cake,however,is the tone. I have never heard such a beautiful rich tone.
As Vai says the tone comes from your hands and not from the amps. Any connoisseur of instrumental music or simply anyone who loves music in any of its various manifestations is bound to like this beautiful melody.

The elan and panache with which the song progresses is quintessential Andy Timmons.
A true virtuoso in the league of Vai,Gilbert,Satriani and the likes.
Highly recommended.

P.S. : The 80's metal fans would recognize Andy from the band 'Danger Danger'.

5 comments:

Amjad Khan said...

Buckethead owns Andy Timmons ^_^

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

This post makes me look for this instrumental of his on you tube...!

kandy.virtuoso said...

no he doesnt
these two artists are totally different
I would rather not compare them.

Amjad Khan said...

Yes, you are right.
Brian Carroll owns Andy Timmons.

Amjad Khan said...

Damn! Anyways.
Shawn Lane > Brianhead > Andy Timmons.