Friday, June 26, 2009

Dissonance



A few months back I came across this band Anata (from Sweden). Now I don't usually post here about random bands I am following (ok ok but not that frequently) but this I had to. The music is so fresh and original, which is so rare these days. If I were to classify it, I'd probably say they are progressive technical death metal. However, this is not why they are really unique as a band. It's the dissonant harmonies they use in creating complex song structures. Two different guitars playing different arpeggio riffs in dissonance creating an unsettling beautiful melody. Listen to downward spiral into madness and you'll know what I mean.

Its not that unusual to find dissonant chords in metal, especially when we are talking about black or death metal. However, creating something as original and complex as this using dissonance is awe-inspiring. The pounding double bass drumming is typical tech death mixed perfectly. There is nothing really I would like to add not because there is nothing more to but because the best music is the hardest to describe. Besides it will never do justice to the music. The only way to understand it is to listen to it.

I bet you are wondering "What's the catch?". Well music this extreme and complex isn't that easily accessible. So you have to give it multiple listens even though you will probably not like it. There is a reason why the most talented bands and musicians aren't famous.

No comments: